Thursday, July 17, 2008

Zander's First Surgery

It is about 1:30 a.m. and Zander just returned from surgery. Zander began surgery about 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday night. The initial intent was to put a line directly into his stomach so he could be fed. When they put the line in the learned that the distal portion of the stomach (the part that grows from the stomach going north) was connected to his lung. Essentially, every time he took a breath, the air was going into his stomach. Once they learned of this Dr. Kelley perfomed another 3 hour surgery to disconnect the distal esophagus from the lung. He closed the lung and the distal portion of the esophagus so Zander can eat. He also stretched the other part of the esophagus from the throat area into the chest cavity and placed traction sutures on this portion of his little esophagus to maintain tension so it would continue to stretch. The little guy is not even on this earth for 8 hours and he has already endured 4.5 hours of surgery. He is a strong little boy and we are so thankful for him and the prayers and thoughts of everyone. At this point he is intubated and is being fed through IV. Christie and I are getting ready to go and see him. Christie is doing well. She is heavily medicated. It was pretty hairy earlier. After 1.5 hours of non surgical attempts to deliver, Zander's heart rate dropped and an emergency C-section was necessary to deliver Zander. Tired, but well...I will write again soon. Miracles do happen....Prayer works. Thanks to all, but especially God! Clancy

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clancy & Christy, I pray God's miracle on little Zander. He's already on our prayer chain and I know that God answers prayer.
God Bless you all!
Donna Frizzell

Anonymous said...

Yeah God! He is beautiful! Praying for a speedy recovery for mom. Praying dad to get rest! Praying that little Zander amazes everyone with God's ability to heal so quickly! Praying for Jackson and Houston to meet their new little brother with great anticipation and joy! Love, Mel, Beth, Riley and Jake

Anonymous said...

Hugs and kisses to all!! My thoughts and prays with all of you during this trying time. I know that Zander and Christie will do well. Get some rest when you can.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Clancy,
It was good to see things seem to be working out, although I cannot imagine the extreme difficulty it has been on all of you. You have to have strong convictions that everything will turn out alright to get through this.

Don’t hesitate to let me or Susan know if there is anything I can do in the interim on any of your files. I would be more than pleased to do so.

Keep the faith. I know you are not completely out of the woods at this point and the road is still a long ways away.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Clancy,

You are all in my prayers. Zander is a beautiful little boy! God is still in the miracle business, and He loves little Zander so much.

God Bless,

Janet Tilley

Anonymous said...

Oh, he is so cute!!! I'm so happy for you, Clancy and Christy!! He is going to be fine and I'm really sorry it was so hairy for a while!! But I know all the prayers that this little guy is getting are going to pull him through. This blog was great to keep everybody informed

Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Zander is absolutely beautiful! Please know that we continue to lift this little boy up in prayer. God is good all the time! May He grant you the peace you need to handle this situation.

You are loved!

Kent, Julie, Jessica and Kendall

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world Zander! It won't be long until your daddy buys you your first baseball glove.

I will keep you all in our prayers.


Kim Woods

Anonymous said...

Clancy,
Thanks for the updates on little Zander! He is just precious and we are praying for all of you guys!

Erin Flatt
Hall & Associates

Unknown said...

He is just gorgeous!!! He's very lucky to
have such great parents and brothers.
God has His healing hand on the
beautiful little guy.

Maureen

Anonymous said...

Hi Clancy & Christie,
I sent an Email asking how everyone was doing...But now I know. LoL... I'm a Grandma too, and like Zander's Grandma didn't have a clue about this Blog thing. LoL...And it's really COOL! I loved seeing the pictures of your beautiful wife, Clancy. And those boys are just so handsome.
Mom and Dad...you guys are so blessed. And while I know this time is tough...God must have such a big and beautiful plan for little Zander. And for you guys as well. You are all in my prayers.
And Clancy...I can't thank you enough for all your help. You have been a true blessing. Your heart is large and it shows!
Sweet Peace,
Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys!!
I got the emails from Maureen (she was so excited she sent it 3 times!) that baby Zander was here. I know you guys are exhausted, excited, emotional, and any other "e" words you can think of! I am so happy for you all and I know that God is working! I will keep you all in our prayers and add you to our prayer list at church. We love you all! When everything settles down we want to see the precious little angel. Don't hestitate to call if you need anything!
Bob, Beth & Braeden

Anonymous said...

Clancy and Christie:

Zander is absolutely beautiful. You all are in our prayers. May God give you peace in this trying time. Please let me know if I can do anything for you all.
Lynn Adkins (Chancery Court)